Saturday 23 July 2011

The Last Piece!

Well today we picked up the final piece needed before Little Lady arrives - her buggy! We even had a test run in the living room with one of her teddy bears :)

It's certainly feeling much more real that she'll be here with us soon!!

Speaking of which... she may be here sooner than expected! At my midwife appointment last week we found that she is no longer lying head down & back-to-back with me, the little monkey has completely shifted and is now transverse :( She should ideally be in the vertex position by now, ready to enter the world...


But she probably takes after her Daddy with being stubborn and has flipped on her side into transverse...


Needless to say it will not be easy to deliver a baby this way!! So I have to return to the midwife at 36 weeks for her to check the baby's position and if she hasn't turned then I will be sent for a scan to verify her position and determine the reason for her lying this way. According to the midwife babies only lie this way when the placenta is low-lying and covering the cervix (baby's exit route). As noted in all my other scans I don't have this problem and my placenta is lying nicely near the top of my womb.

If it turns out that Little Lady is definately lyng transverse then we have two options:

1) The midwife/doctor tries to turn her manually and point her head down, or
2) We head for a C-Section

I have spoken to nurses about the turning process and the chances of her staying head down after being turned are only 40%, which doesn't inspire me very much. So it looks as though a C-section may well be on the cards.

If this is the case then the midwife has said she would not let me reach full term (40 weeks) in this pregnancy and the C-section will probably take place around 37 or 38 weeks...!! That's a maximum of 3 weeks away! The reason for the early delivery is because they don't want to risk me going into labour before a full-term C-Section. This could be quite disastrous as the umbilical cord or placenta could come out before the baby does, therefore Little Lady would be starved of oxygen and put into unnecessary distress.

I'm not happy with the fact I may have to go for a section, my dream was to have as much of a natural, un-aided birth as possible. I've had my heart set on this since the beginning and now it looks as though I'll be getting the complete opposite.

On the other side of that thought I know that at least Little Lady would be born safe and healthy via a section and there wouldn't be any complications with her birth. That means more to me than my own wishes for a natural birth so I would be happy to go along with the section if that's what is required. We'll just have to wait another week before we find out what's happening...

3 comments:

  1. Just give her a skelp on the arse, that'll make her turn round...always worked on you... :-)

    Having a C-section is sometimes the simplest way, though I've heard pro's and con's to the stress it causes baby (suddenly being hauled out into a cold world, instead of squeezing into it slowly, etc).

    The only thing you have to think of though, is what is best for you both. If it's a C-Section, so be it, but if you can convince her to turn, then all the better and you can get it done the way it's supposed to happen.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh - I really hope it goes well with your 36wk appointment & that they're able to turn her...or that she turns on her own! :)
    We find out tomorrow how our little lady is lying.. really hope she's behaving & has stayed head-down or we'll be in the same boat as you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dearest wife had one full term C-section and one natural birth and preferred the C-section. Less stress on her and the baby. It certainly seemed to have an effect on the nature of the two siblings, the one always easy, the other full of drama.

    ReplyDelete