Thursday 10 March 2011

Dabble With A Doppler?

Well today saw me taking a trip to the hospital for my Down Syndrome & Spina Bifida blood tests. The bus trip was uneventful although there were a couple of teenage girls at the front of the bus who were so loud I just wanted to throttle them.

Nurse listened to me today and only decided to take blood from my hand, although it's damn sore being taken from there! So I'm not a total pin cushion but I'll be bruised for the next couple weeks again :o(

But then I got to hop up on the bed and nurse got the fetal doppler out to check for the baby's heartbeat. "Now it may take a while to find it so don't panic, it's normal" warned nurse. "Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" Nurse hit the sweet spot right away! I got to hear our little Noodle's heartbeat for the first time!! It was amazing, it just added another dimension to how I can love my baby. Seeing the heartbeat is one thing, that little flicker on a screen, but to hear it was even better :o)

So the question now is - to buy a doppler or not? You can rent them pretty cheap, about  £15 a month, and it means we can "drop-in" and have a listen to Noodle any time we want. It allows you to hear the baby kicking (if you prod them for a bit they kick at the microphone), hiccuping and the heartbeat, so I think it's a good thing as Scott will probably get a bit more involved with the pregnancy if he realises the baby can interact with you.

On the downside, I'll probably panic if I can't find a heartbeat one day, I know sometimes they baby can turn a certain way and it prevents you hearing it.

So. To dabble or not?

3 comments:

  1. Not to Dopple, I say...

    Either keep your excitement for when you have more scans (to keep the anticipation going and so the novelty doesn't wear off), or go to a secondhand place and find an old stethoscope...play Doctor, Doctor.. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya....any word back on the test results yet? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, said they would call in 7-10 days if I needed to go in for more tests. No news is good news!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete